Friday, February 09, 2007

Cascading Leaves

Pattern: Embossed Leaves Socks by Mona Schmidt from IWK Winter 05
Yarn: 2 balls Filatura di Crosa Zarina in grey (col. 1494)
Needles: 2.75mm dpns (I'm actually getting the hang of dpns now and prefer them over 2 circs)
Started: Feb 2nd, 2007
Finished: Feb 9th, 2007

Pattern is for a sock 23cm long and my feet are 26cm (I know, I have big feet) so initially I was going to do an extra half pattern repeat but I ended up undoing that after I tried it on my foot because the sock actually stretched quite a bit.

In the end, the only 'alteration' to the pattern I made was picking up 14 stitches on each side of the heel flap instead of 15 as the pattern calls for. I just couldn't find room to pick up that one last stitch for some reason.

The one feature I really like about these socks is the way the toe decreases taper to a point and actually complete the leaves in the final pattern repeat. Really nice touch.

Of course, I would've liked to have found Mona's tutorial on the tubular cast on she used BEFORE I'd finished the socks. For anyone interested you can find it on the sidebar of her website.

3 comments:

Pig wot flies said...

Wow, you're on a sock-knitting roll! Nice work.

Unknown said...

Very pretty! wow I can't believe they only took you about a week to finish. You knit so fast:)

I was going to reply your question about the ryc soft tweed but realized I don't even have your email address. Anyways, I hope you don't mind me leaving lenghty comment here. I've never try ryc soft tweed myself. So can't give you any feedback on the yarn. But if you're interested to try some tweed yarn. I definitely would like to recommend jo sharp aran tweed. It comes in many pretty shades and knits up incredibly soft.

Anonymous said...

I love the grey more than the red!