Monday, January 29, 2007

Another Silver Bolero!

I finally finished the Jo Sharp bolero I started way back in November.

I really thought I would finish this before Christmas but when I got to the 234-stitch 2x2 ribbed band I completely lost motivation.

Meanwhile I got quite sidetracked with a few other projects, including some secret knitting (to be revealed in a later post) and the Cloud Bolero, which was also in silver (or at least the colour was called Silver Lining although in reality it's closer to baby blue).

Some additional pics on my flickr.

Okay, project details...

Project: Short Sleeve Bolero in Jo Sharp Knit - Issue 2
Yarn: 6.5 balls of Debbie Bliss Cathay in Silver (same gauge as the Jo Sharp Summer DK Cotton the pattern calls for)
Needles: 3.5mm and 4mm Addi Turbos
Started: Late Nov 06
Finished: 28 January 07

Instead of knitting the fronts and backs separately, I knitted them as one piece up to the armpits and then knitted the fronts and back separately. This is purely to avoid the side seams and I think it actually drapes nicer without the side seams. I also used a 3-needle bind off at the shoulder, again to avoid the dreaded seaming.

Final 2 Cents:
DB Cathay has great stitch definition so any unevenness in my stockinette really shows (and I'm NOT a very even knitter). That's probably my only gripe with this project.

On a slightly different note, I noticed that the project list for the Spring 07 issue of Interweave Knits is up. There are a few projects that I like the look of, such as the Tea Rose Halter Top by Wenlan Chia (of Twinkle fame) and the Dollar and a Half Cardigan by Veronik Avery.

Let's just hope it doesn't take 3 months for my issue to arrive this time....


Lara said...

Beautiful! I love the improvements you made to the pattern.

Yarnhog said...

Oh, wow, I love it! I've been on the lookout for something like that to wear with a bridesmaid dress. I'll have to track down the pattern. I also love the changes you made--anything to avoid seams.