Monday, April 16, 2007

London Calling

I give you, the London Beanie...

I know, my head is way too round for beanies. This is going to a happy home in the UK.

I used 1 ball of Zara in chocolate brown (MC) and scraps for CC. I made it a lot longer than the pattern required - an extra 19 rounds in fact!

And now, the EXCITING news. We're going on holidays! This has been in the works for quite a few months now and we're leaving on Friday. Yes, THIS Friday!

Our itinerary includes a very short stint in London, followed by Scandinavia, Spain, and home via Hong Kong.

I've already started compiling a list of yarn shops in all those places, thanks to some very nice friends from blogland.

Heidi pointed me to a very comprehensive listing of yarn stores in Scandinavia under the Garn Studio stockists page.

Catrin and Gabriella both suggested these two stores in Stockholm, which I will definitely visit...
Marias Garn at St Paulsgatan 20 - near Mariatorget, Södermalm
Nysta at Luntmakargatan 50, Norrmalm

Gabriella also suggested a few around the Malmö area...
Sländan at Lilla Fiskaregatan 1 in Lund
Irmas Hus at Kalendegatan 13 in Malmö
Signe Svensson Garnaffär at Davidshallsg 25 in Malmö
Yllet on Jöns Filsgatan 2 in Malmö (also in Stockholm at Drottninggatan 106)

I'm also thinking of visiting these ones in Copenhagen, thanks to Maud's write up here...
Sommerfuglen at Vandkunsten 3
Uldstedet on Fiolstraede 13
Strikkeboden, cnr of Fiolstraede and Krystalstraede

Back in London, I'm hoping to make a trip to Loop sometime in our 24 hours there. Oh and amazingly, I even found a listing of yarn shops in Hong Kong!!

Okay okay, I am resisting from doing any more research about yarn stores for this trip, or else poor Jerms will surely die of boredom, and bankruptcy!

5 comments:

Pig wot flies said...

One more place you should go in London is Stash yarns. It's a bit less central than Loop but worth a visit from all I hear (I've never been, but I've heard very good things from those who have).

Adrienne said...

Very cute!!!!

Heidi said...

Nice beanie! I'm so jealous of your holiday! I really need to see something else for a change! Well, at least it's sunny here in Finland, so it's not toooo bad...

Anonymous said...

Have a great holiday secret pal!

Anonymous said...

I went to Stash and Loop last October and wasn't dreadfully enamoured with either of them. I hear that I Knit London is really good though - it's in SW8 not far from Vauxhall Bridge Station I think. And I tried the Hong Kong ones. Would be very interested to see if you discover anything worth going to in HK, so I can put it on my list for next time. Have a great trip.